Rivers of Living Water

Rivers of Living Water
"Out of your innermost being will flow rivers of living water." John 7:38

Friday, September 12, 2014

READY, or not?

Daniel 3

“If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to deliver us from it, and He will deliver us from Your Majesty’s hand. But even if He does not, we want you to know, Your Majesty, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up.”
I wonder, would I be ready and bold enough to state, “even if He does not I will not serve your gods or worship your images!”   I marvel at the stalwart stance of these three men and I think my faith is as strong and bold, but when faced with the fiery furnace would I bend my knee?
This causes me to reflect on normal, everyday life and the opportunities facing us all the time to bend our knees.  Jokes told around the water cooler that are off-color, taking that small token of appreciation from a vendor when company rules state we should not, or how about taking home office supplies or printing something personal on the company color printer – whose god am I serving then?  What about speeding, just a little, or my sudden burst of vocabulary choices, or taking advantage of a friend’s senior discount.  Oh, but no fiery furnace is attached to those minor infractions, right?  Maybe not today, but what about eternity’s choices?  The gods I serve in the here and now tell much about my relationship to the One True God whom I say has saved my soul.  Either I operate in this world without bending my knee to social norms and I serve the God who set me free from slavery, from sin and death or I don’t.  There’s really no middle ground.
Well that’s a lot to chew on today!  I wonder if we just get use to the temperature of today’s temptations, to the cultural norms that assuage our conscience and make us comfortable bending our knee.  After all, the music is usually quite lovely at the foot of golden idols, isn’t it?  mmmmm
suemccarysargis

No comments:

Post a Comment