Rivers of Living Water

Rivers of Living Water
"Out of your innermost being will flow rivers of living water." John 7:38

Friday, September 19, 2014

INCESSANT - Ezekiel 47

Ezekiel 47 is easily one of my favorite books of the Bible.   Every time I read it I shout, almost out loud, but really deep within my innermost being: I want to preach this sermon!!  While the chapters preceding 47 seem to be just a litany of facts and measurements from which I needed an interpretive word from God to understand the take-away that should impact how I live my life, this one did not pose such a challenge.   A word came quickly to my mind as I read:  INCESSANT 

I saw water coming out from under the threshold of the temple 

I looked up that word to see what context it might have the joy of previous readings of Ezekiel 47 was taken to new heights.    

As Ezekiel is taken back to the entrance of the temple by his spirit guide (remember, he is in the midst of a vision while simultaneously an exile in Babylon – 25 years into what would be a 70 year exile for Israel), he begins a journey into the waters flowing from the throne.  First the water was trickling from the south side of the temple, then he was led into ankle deep waters, then knee deep, then waist deep and then 

He measured off another thousand, but now it was a river that I could not cross, because the water had risen and was deep enough to swim in—a river that no one could cross. 

Now he is taken back to shore and given a bird’s eye view of what I believe is the incessant, eternal Glory of God. . . 

Then he led me back to the bank of the river.  When I arrived I saw a great number of trees on each side of the river.  He said to me:  “This water flows toward the eastern region and goes down into the Arabah, where it enters the Dead Sea.  When it empties into the sea the salty water there becomes fresh.  Swarms of living creatures will live wherever the river flows. There will be large numbers of fish, because this water flows there and makes the salt water fresh; so where the river flows everything will live. 

THE GLORY OF GOD!  Out of the throne comes Living Waters that get deeper and deeper and deeper as we enter those waters of life, and soon these waters empty into what was once a dead sea that could not sustain life in any form.  Now, everywhere the river flows there is life! 

We are the representatives who take the depths of God’s redeeming, life-giving, life-sustaining waters to a dead, chronically thirsty, broken world and when we go with the flow of His glory and grace, everywhere we go, life springs forth.   It is nothing we do.   The waters flow from His Throne transforming our lives so that we simply get to be the bearers of His Living Waters through whom He brings the dead to life.  John’s gospel tells us:

Jesus stood and cried out, saying, "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink. "He who believes in Me, as the Scripture said, 'From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water.'" John 7:37-38 

Out of our innermost being will flow rivers of living waters! 

“Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that His Spirit dwells in your midst?!”  1 Corinthians 3:16 

We are His temple.  Out of us flows living waters!  Oh it might be just a trickle at first but as we allow Him to lead us we soon find ourselves in over our heads in the depths of His glory and grace, and EVERYWHERE WE GO THERE IS LIFE! 

Ezekiel then sees fishermen on the shores -  

 10 Fishermen will stand along the shore; from En Gedi to En Eglaim there will be places for spreading nets. The fish will be of many kinds 

Jesus says - “I will make you fishers of men if you follow me!”  Matthew 4:19 

Ezekiel sees the fruit trees offering both sustenance and healing -
 
12 Fruit trees of all kinds will grow on both banks of the river. Their leaves will not wither, nor will their fruit fail. Every month they will bear fruit, because the water from the sanctuary flows to them. Their fruit will serve for food and their leaves for healing.” 

Galatians 5 reminds us we are God’s fruit bearers and in Matthew 10 Jesus’ tells us: 

Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.  Matthew 10:8 

The fruit of our lives, lived for the Glory of God, will fill others up with His love.  We will be His ambassadors who bring healing to broken lives.    

Insanely, incessantly, incredibly we get to be vessels of God’s glory.  That’s why my spirit shouts every time I read Ezekiel 47.   It isn’t just a cute story of a man wading in the waters who sees a sea come to life.  It is depictive of how my world can be transformed from rivers of living waters flowing out of the Throne of my living, loving Savior and Lord.   I get to be His emissary.   I get to deliver living water, food for the hungry, healing for the broken because out of my innermost being, His holy temple, flows rivers of His life-giving, life-sustaining waters. 

May the Glory of His presence fill the world around me today as I go with His flow. AMEN!

suemccarysargis
9/19/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment