Rivers of Living Water

Rivers of Living Water
"Out of your innermost being will flow rivers of living water." John 7:38

Tuesday, April 28, 2020

UNRIVALED

















“Sometimes called the "Nonpareil," meaning "unrivaled," a fair way to describe the unbelievable colors of the male Painted Bunting. This species is locally common in the Southeast, around brushy areas and woodland edges.”

I love the picture of this bird and when I first saw it, I didn’t believe it could possible be real, but then I looked it up. Sure enough, it is as beautiful as the posting I saw on FB. Even more amazing is the name by which it is often known - nonpareil - "Having no match or equal." I thought immediately of the unrivaled beauty of my Lord.

I love the majesty of God’s creation, and every time I see something so lovely – sunsets, sunrises, flora and fauna, fish swimming in the coral reefs, fall foliage, painted Zebras, colorful birds, and oh so much more – I have this vision of God, paintbrush in hand, putting the minutest details on every thing He created for us to enjoy. I love to paint, so that is probably why I see this particular image. 

One day when my nephew, Jon, was only 2 years old, he and his momma came to visit me in Hawai’i and we took a ride around my favorite side of my island. Without fail, the Ko'olau mountains take my breath away, and I mused, out loud, 

“Oh I want to paint those mountains!” and Jon replied, as only a 2-year old can, 

“Will you paint trees on them?” 

He took me quite literally – and thankfully we cannot, nor do we need to consider actually redoing God’s majestic handiwork. We should, however, always take time to enjoy it - and to thank God for gracing us with such beauty.

“Ask the animals, and they will teach you, or the birds in the sky and they will tell you; or speak to the earth and it will teach you, or let the fish in the sea inform you. Which of these does not know the hand of the LORD has done this and in His hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind.” Job 12:7-10


No comments:

Post a Comment