Rivers of Living Water

Rivers of Living Water
"Out of your innermost being will flow rivers of living water." John 7:38

Monday, May 23, 2011

Fruit of The Spirit - Kindness

KINDNESS

“Don’t you know that it is His kindness that leads us to repentance?” Romans 2:4

I hadn’t considered Christ’s sacrifice on the Cross as being an act of kindness, but it is the ultimate gift, isn’t it. It was His Spirit of Kindness which rose up within Him as He walked that Via Dolorosa and as He said with His dying breaths “Father, forgive them for they don’t know what they are doing.” This act of unselfish love, when fully contemplated, cannot help but compel one to embrace such kindness.

David declared it was God’s kindness that caused him to stand victorious against the enemy that had come against the people of God: “Blessed be the Lord, for He has shown me His marvelous kindness in a city under siege.” Psalm 31:21 God’s kindness is demonstrated still today when we are able to stand against the onslaught of the enemy.

The Psalmist also declares that God’s kindness is a truth we can always rely on: “His merciful kindness is great towards us; the truth of the Lord endures forever.” Is this fruit of His Spirit evident through me? When I know someone is battling, does the spirit of kindness well up within me and cause me to stand in their defense, or in the gap for them in prayer? Is His kindness operating through me something others can count on? It should be, for the fruit of God’s Spirit is demonstrated by kindness.

“Let Your merciful kindness comfort me, according to Your word.” Psalm 119:76. Am I comforting others with the merciful kindness of my Savior? Am I the Proverbs 31 woman – “She opens her mouth in skillful and godly wisdom, and on her tongue is the law of kindness (giving counsel and instruction)” (vs 26 Amplified Bible). Is the law of kindness written on my own heart? Is it Christ’s own kindness, or do I offer it out of legalistic obligation? If the former, oh what joy floods my own soul. If the latter selfish gain will ruin any opportunity for others to know the kindness of my Savior, and such legally-induced ‘kindness’ is really self-deception for in the end it demands reciprocity. Such is not ‘the fruit of The Spirit’.

Jesus ate with ‘sinners’, He welcomed the lavish wastefulness of the woman who anointed Him with costly perfume, He died for sinners like me. It was and is His M.O. Is it mine?

1 Corinthians, chapter 6 says that living out the kindness of the Lord is the way to prove I am His servants: “Laboring together with Him, we beg you not to receive such merciful kindness in vain. We should not put any obstacle in anybody’s way so that His ministry is not discredited. We prove ourselves to be true servants of God . . . . in (our display of) His kindness.” (vss 1-6) Interjected among the list of virtues we are given the keys to how it is even possible for us to operate like Him in this world – by the Holy Spirit, by Genuine Love, by the Word of Truth, by the Power of God. These are intrinsically not of ourselves. God is, as Romans 11:36 says, working in us so that we comprehend and are empowered by the truth that it is FROM HIM, and THROUGH HIM and TO HIM. “Everything comes from Him, and exists by His power, and is intended for His Glory” As I live in Him and through Him towards others on this earth, He is glorified.

Finally, on the subject of kindness found in the incredibly descriptive King James language, we are to “put on, as the holy and beloved elect of God, bowels of . . . . kindness.” Colossians 3:12

Two truths can be gleaned from this verse. First, I am to ‘put on’ kindness, as I would put on a coat to shield myself from the cold, or as I put on shoes to protect and strengthen my feet – purposefully thoughtfully, intentionally. Second, kindness should dwell within my innermost being and be so much a part of me that it simply cannot be negated by my fleshly appetite. Emerging from my ‘bowels’, the seat of emotions according to Greek and Hebrew tradition, kindness is both a choice and an impossibility to deny for I cannot deny my true emotions. Either it is Christ’s kindness or my flesh at work in and through me – both cannot co-exist. I cannot serve two masters.

“Put aside all malice, deceit, hypocrisy, envy and slander. Like newborn babies, crave the pure milk of the Word . . . . if indeed you have tasted the kindness of the Lord.” 1 Peter 2:1-2

“By his divine power, God has given us everything we need for living a godly life. We have received all of this by coming to know Him, the one who called us to Himself by means of His marvelous glory and excellence . . . . In view of all this, make every effort to respond to God’s promises. Supplement your faith with a generous provision of moral excellence, and moral excellence with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with patient endurance, and patient endurance with godliness, and godliness with kindness, and kindness with love for everyone.” 2 Peter 1:3-8

It is His kindness, through me, that leads others to know His marvelous glory and excellence.

The fruit of the Spirit is kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment